Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Catching up. Again.

Im sick of Craig saying "So, how's that blog coming?" So I am surrendering to the post. It just gets so overwhelming when there is so much to cover. I'll try to sum up, but don't hold your breath--.. I had to run in the other room and change the channel from American Idol. Its the early audition round, and my ears were starting to bleed.
Quickly- For Thanksgiving we went to Seattle to visit Craig's brother and sister-in-law and we had a great time. We visited the Space Needle, and the famous fish market and it was great to see Kent and Stephanie's new baby girl, Melanie:) (wish I had a picture of her now.) We also had family photos taken.

Here are the nephews! Hi guys!

-The Museum of Flight in Washington.


Top of the Space Needle. Have to do it once, right?


One of our family pics. See the triplets? There's Melanie! I do have a pic of her:)

We came home for a week, and I was miserable with a terrible cold that I couldn't really take anything for. Vicks vapo-rub and Ricolas did SQUAT.

Then we went to Hawaii for what was likely to be the last vacation we take for a very, very...very long time. If you've never been, its truly a faaaaaaaaaaaantastic place. It was actually the first vacation Craig and I have taken alone since our Honeymoon (and we dont even have kids yet;) so it was really nice to be able to take a trip like that again. Thanks Steve and Linda for making that happen:)
We did everything- witnessed the "Big Swell" on the North Shore and the Eddie Aikau Big Wave Classic that only happens about once every five years. We were on the beach at 6:30am with 35,000 other onlookers and Craig took about a million pictures. (why can't I fix the italics??)
These were two from the contest. Kid takes a nice photo, doesn't he:)



We also visited the Polynesian Cultural Center- where we did everything from learning how to weave strips of grass, to attending a Luau, and Craig made fire by rubbing sticks together. My man!


We went snorkling at Hanauma Bay nature preserve and it was beautiful.
Bah! And I thought I was showing then.
Ok, the photo above is obviously better, and also equally as obviously-not taken by me.

The trip was wonderful. We rented a Mustang convertible and spent a lot of time just cruising around from one side of the island to the other. The weather was ideal- low 80's, not a cloudy day or a drop of rain, and there was a perfect, constant breeze. The fresh pineapple is...well, it makes me drool just thinking about it. And I think I had a Hawaiian Shaved Ice every day that we were there. It is one of thee best treat on earth. The passion fruit/lychee/guava combo is my favorite. THAT, I did get a picture of.
mmmmmmmm. I miss you, shaved ice. We will be together again soon.

Also one of my favorite parts of the North Sore are the Shrimp Shacks. They are literally like old, piece of crap- RV's parked on the roadside with picnic tables outside. The shrimp are plentiful and tasty!
We were so happy just to be there, and we still dream of days when we can afford to live there. Don't worry, that will be never.

Ok, moving on...

Pregnancy. I turned 18 weeks on Monday and everything is going beautifully. We had our extremely thorough ultrasound last week and found out that we are having two girls and a boy. We couldn't be happier:) We have had names picked out for a while, but we made a last minute switch when I casually brought up a name to Craig just to see how he would react, and HE LIKED IT. So (drum roll) since I can't see your faces react to the news: Lyla, Scarlet, and Porter. Craig picked Porter and I picked the girls' names with no opposition from Dad. Don't quote me on the spellings yet, though.
So far the trio is as healthy as we can know at this point. We are blessed that they all have separate sacs and their own placentas so we can already rule out many complications that can arise when that isn't the case- like one being significantly larger than the other, for example. They're all about 7 oz at this point and I am barely starting to feel them move. Symptomly speaking (?) it has been smooooth sailing. I can only wonder what lies ahead that it should be so easy up to this point. I am still stuffed up every day, and its the worst at night, but a humidifier has helped a lot. I just get that problem- when you breathe out of your mouth all night and you wake up choking and trying to moisten your mouth to no avail- feeling like your tongue is going to split from the dryness. Also, I broke my perfect record. I threw up. Actually, I do a lot, but its always the first thing in the morning and due to phlegm from the sinus crap- which always triggers the gag reflex. Luckily its only dry heaves and only bothers me when I first wake up. It is weird, though, but I don't care. Beats being nauseous all day for sure.
Its becoming increasingly difficult to bend over, put on shoes, etc. I need to invest in a good pair of slip-ons pretty quick. But getting dressed every morning is fun because I have this great, new accessory! I get so excited every time I look at it because its like the best Christmas present in the world that I get to carry around all day every day- constantly reminding me of the gift we're getting come this spring. AND, it keeps getting bigger! Now, If I can just keep my skin from splitting open. At friends' suggestion I picked up some Bag Balm. It works well, but its pretty stinky.
Now comes the agonizing task of decorating the nursery. Im making all the crib bedding because there's no way in you know where that Im spending more for the bedding that the cribs themselves. I found plenty of fabric that I like, all modern/contemporary themes (no "baby" stuff) but I can't for the life of me settle on a color scheme. Gender neutral is killer. All the furniture will be white, and I want to do bright colors- probably one bright wall- red or apple green or tangerine or something, and then some cool mod prints for the bedding and curtains. I just can't decide on colors, mostly because I would be happy with multiple combinations. And I love Chinese lanterns- I'd like to get one to hang over each crib. Ooh, this is fun:) Anyway, suggestions are welcome. Just don't say anything that has anything to do with characters, or anything that comes with a matching wallpaper border. That's not me.

I continue to wonder what I have done to deserve such blessings, and I still can't imagine all that lies ahead. I hope I am doing my job in expressing gratitude, and I hope I will be worthy to care for the three special little spirits that are waiting for us. More updates to come!

ps- thank you so much to everyone who has offered donations. We're taking almost anything we can get!

12 comments:

  1. I say do a wall with tangerine on the bottom, white chair rail and lime green above !!! I have some paper lanterns in bright colors that are yours if ya want them !! lol Have a painting party cuz you are not supposed to be smelling paint !!! I would love to help paint !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I donate my children? And I want to see belly pictures, not pics of my kids- I see them every day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Im going to tell Craig you said that. He asked me to post it because he thought you and Kelli would like it. (shoulda known)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing pics of my kids, they are way more awesome than Stephanie's kids! You need to register at Target or somewhere online so those of us who aren't blessed to live in Clovis (I giggle just writing that), can send you the stuff you need. Get on the ball lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kelli! Im not the pregnant lady who asks for stuff. (unless its used and donated) I just assume any baby thing that is out there we'll need. I think we've got the stroller/carseat situation handled. Crap, you're the one with kids, what do they need? A hundred onesies, clothes, bottles (doubt the girls can keep up) of course diapers- but I have no idea how many of what size to get. How about I have a shower where everyone comes and tells me what I'll need?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the post Nicole. Its like talking to you in person. I like your names a lot, not everyone has them......yet. Great Hawaii pictures as well. Love you guys very much. Can't wait 'til spring. You're all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the post...I love the names...and I will love to help you with anything you need...are you craving anything yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was talking to my brother Mike a few weeks back. He asked if I'd talked with Craig lately and wondered if you had taken a vacation to Hawaii. He was over there with his family and was at the surf contest and said he saw a guy that looked just like Craig walking around with a camera. He tried to catch up to see if it was him, but lost him in the crowd. How funny, guess it was Craig after all. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the names, we had both Scarlet and Porter on our list at some point, well, Scarlet was on mine and Porter was liked by both. Lyla is very cute too. I really like the picture of Craig drinking out of the pinapple, funny stuff. I definately have one really cute lavender dress for your girls, they'll have to share. I also am making another bag for you, mostly 12 mos stuff, all the other smaller things are already dispersed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicole got your message about Ikea when do you want to go? We are game! Just went there but I love that place!!! Let me know! Love the names and ikea has some way cool mod baby stuff. When are you going to have a baby shower? I would suggest sooner than later so you can enjoy it and get all the stuff ready!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole, I think of you every time you say you have a stuffed up nose. I totally have that right now and am miserable. The cotton mouth thing in the morning is really getting old. Anyway, have you tried the Breathe Right Strips. They are those nerdy things you put on your nose but they actually open up your nose so you can breathe better. And then have you heard of the Neti Pot? It really works too to get all the phlegm and snot out of your nose. Ask your pharmacist at Wal-Mart or Walgreens for it and they can help. I use the Squirt bottle but many people use the Neti Pot. Good luck. I think it is hilarious you are already talking about bending over and tying your shoes being hard. I am so sorry for you because you will get big so early because of the triplets. However, you look totally tiny in the pictures and hardly are showing. Keep the posts coming. I love to hear about everything.

    Also, did Craig know that Dan Dave's brother lives in Hawaii. He works at BYU Hawaii so he lives up on the North Shore. You guys should have looked him up. And Mike was in Hawaii with his family for that surf competition and said to Dave, "I swear I saw Craig at that surf competition." Well he totally did. Too bad you guys didn't even just get to chat. Mike and Craig were pretty tight a long time ago.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete