Monday, January 25, 2010

Questions and Comments

First of all, my sis-in-law demanded (yes demanded) that I go and create a baby registry, so that's what I'm doing. My problem is that I literally look at everything and say "I don't need that." We're trying to assemble used gear as much as possible so I don't see the point in asking anyone to go pay money for these things. Things I do see needing are the basics: bottles (I read I'll need about 6 per baby to start), diapers (who knows how many), onezies, clothes, socks, crib sheets etc. Basically, it makes for a boring registry. That said, Im counting on experienced moms to tell me what I need. My first question is what the heck kind of bottles do I get? There are hundreds, and they can't all be the same. Im going to try and breastfeed as much as humanly possible, but lets face it, there's no way I'll be able to keep up with three hungry little mouths. So , Moms, which are best? Playtex drop-ins are up there in popularity, and so are Avents. They both seem to have their pros and cons. The idea of liners vs constantly washing bottles definately gets my attention. I need to go with what's most convenient for me, and what will work best with babies going back and forth from bottle to breast. So? Which is it then?

Secondly, I got all the material for the crib bedding today! Even the shipment from Australia arrived:) Now I just need a coordinating fabric for the dust ruffles- that will all be the same- and Im good to go!This is for the girls' cribs.
The frogs are for the boy. The green frogs actually match the green in the tulips- which was the point- but it looks totally different online. They'll all have matching dust ruffles, and I'll add some red somewhere with the frogs to tie them all together. I think Im leaning towards a green wall. Like my friend Kaipo said, the red accents will pop with the lime green better then if it were the other way around. I saw a photo of a bright green wall with pure white furniture and trim and I just loved the way it looked.
Oh here it is!
I think one green wall will be plenty. now if I can just manage to keep it looking too Christmas-y.

Pregnancy still going well. My biggest complaint lately is rib pain. It feels like someone has a blowtorch under my right ribcage. Can't seem to do anything to alleviate the dull, and sometimes not so dull- ache. No sitting position is comfortable. My best chance is standing or lying flat. Anyway its a minor complaint, considering. Im sure it'll get worse and I keep telling myself that- hoping it wont be as bad as Im expecting.

Ok, Moms, need that advice now:)..

16 comments:

  1. I pumped exclusively with Lydia, so I learned quite a bit about bottles in the process... we used the small 4 oz. playtex drop-ins in the beginning, when I was still attempting to nurse, and Lyd was only taking 2 oz. at a time, ever 2-3 hours. I really liked them for the ease of not having to wash a million bottles a day, but when she started eating more less frequently, we chose to switch to Born Free bottles because the cost of buying drop-ins (even the Target brand) was starting to add up, as well as the waste factor. By that time, we made do with 7 bottles total, and that worked perfectly and I never really had to wash a whole lot of bottle by hand, just let the dishwasher do the work. I always really liked the Born Free bottles, they washed up well, fit nicely in my hand, and Lydia didn't have any gas from them. They're a little pricey, but I thought they were worth it... and they're supposed to be great for switching between bottle and breast. Oh yeah, and get a good dishwasher basket for all those little bottle parts and nipples.

    I'd also highly recommend Halo brand sleepsack swaddles for when they're little (provided they like to be swaddled), these things saved us as neither one of us could swaddle tight enought with a regular blanket, and Lydia startled herself awake so much she needed a tight swaddle. She slept that way every night until she rolled over in her sleep at 4 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute fabric! I sympathize with the rib pain. About the bottles, I use the playtex drop-ins and have been very happy with them. As far as must haves for mom's of multiples here are my suggestions: the book "On Becoming Babywise", a good breast pump, and some sort of carrier or wrap (I love, love, love my Sleepy Wrap). I already told you my swing is yours. Emma will be done with it by the time your babies are hear. Let me know if you need help with anything, I'm just down the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked my daughter Elizabeth Hansen to email you with any juicy tips she might have, so be expecting to hear from her.
    I so want to see a picture of you. I love your three names by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the drop-ins with Hill and they were a blessing to me as a mom who worked away from home!! But they do need to be burped when you fill them, my sister-in-law was a nurse and she showed me how to do it and I will gladly show you if you want me to!! I am also available to feed, change and rock any time and at any hour !!! Love you and I am glad all is well !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BAH! I don't want to see green! I want to see a picture of YOU! (Though I must say that it's darling.)

    As for bottles, we used the cheapest gerber plastic bottles. I think they're all the same, and if the baby is hungry enough, they'll take it. Hopefully. I've used the Miracle Blanket for both Erik and Melanie, and I think that's part of the reason why they sleep so well. They're pricey, but completely worth it (and I'll send you these when Melanie is no longer using them). I'll shoot you a more detailed email later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time I'll read the blog first. I kept staring at the prints and thought they were those 3D pics, but nothing popped out. 3 names, what names? I missed that blog. I thought you were going with Buck, Chuck and Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabrics Nicole...don't know much about the bottles...back in the olden days they were all glass and we had to sterilize them everytime we used them...and then there were the cloth diapers.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This old grandma can't help with the bottle issue or anything else for that matter...but it sounds like you have plenty of experiences "multiple" moms that are helping you. Love the fabric and the room ideas...fun times! Keep blogging and sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack and I were thinking since our kids will be different ages then you can borrow all our girl stuff. We have SOOO many clothes and tons of toys you probably could cloth both the girls without buying anymore. Warning though... TONS OF PINK. So, if you guys would like it, it's always open to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I didn't have multiples and half my kids would not take a bottle at all, but I do like Avent very much. As for swaddling (reading comments) NONE of my kids liked it, they would actually scream and cry when someone swaddled them, especially Peyton, but I don't think that's the usual and I've heard that special blankets for swaddling are much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bottles? Hmmm, I have used drop ins, they come in handy if you are pumping milk and freezing it. For formula though I think most bottles are about the same. You end up having to wash all the different parts with or without the liners so it never really saved me any time or effort, and they did seem to leak a little more, especially if you don't get the liner put in securely. I agree with Kelly on the swaddling. Some babies like it some don't. 4 of my kids hated to be swaddled and the latest one - he loves it! Go figure they are all so different. My advice - buy a few different brands and see which ones the babies like the best. The same with pacifiers - if you want to use them - every baby has a different preference. Whatever makes them happy will make your life easier! By the way, if you want all my onesys, Carson should be out of the 0-3mo just in time to pass them along to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kent, the three names I wanted were Kandi, Ferrari, and Studmuffin. But Nicole veto'ed those saying they predisposed the girls to being strippers, and the boy to a life of semi-pro wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My vote was Chastity, Constance, and Hightower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly, you will need to get a couple of each and see what the babies like! The hospital gave me some little plastic bottles to take home with only like 5mls total since they would not eat a ton in the beginning. I used the avent though with my twins and got a bottle warmer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Dan and I are so happy for you and Craig! I was going to tell you, Sam loves to be swaddled (and really needed to be because he flails so much and startles himself still). He was too strong for blankets or other swaddles you see out there.
    We got the Woombie, which has been THE BEST. Woombie.com has them. They look silly, but are the closest thing to mimic the womb because they can still move their arms up and down and their legs can move as well, but they won't wake up because they've startled themselves.
    It has been a true lifesaver and I think it helped Sam sleep through the night at just 6.5 weeks. (he's almost 9 weeks now and sleeping great at night9-11 hrs)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, and one more thing...we use dr. browns bottles which are great. we were using drop ins, but the liners are such a waste.
    i have heard avent is good, but sam seems less gassy and less spit up w/ the dr. browns bottles-they require 3 seconds more cleaning than most, but we've had success w/ them.

    ReplyDelete