Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hospital Life

If you haven't heard already, Im in the hospital indefinitely because if issues with little baby C- details are on facebook if you want em. I was admitted on Tuesday and Im still here. I will say that I expected it to be worse at this point. I never thought Id get a private room- which apparently was a necessity just to fit the monitors for 3 babies. I have a great view- out 3 big windows, cable, flat screen, dvd player and wifi in my room. Im not sick or on any diet restrictions, so they bring me pretty much whatever I ask for. Seems weird to be hospitalized and offered onion rings, ffries, chips, chicken fingers, pepsi, bacon, etc with meals. The food is ok, I think I just like having so many options.

My daily routine goes as follows: the doc usually comes in between 630 and 730am just to check in and ask if I understand everything and have any questions. Because this is a teaching hospital, I get a different resident about every day, and then there are the big wig- perinatologists and neonatologists that come by a few times a week to ask the same questions. A PCA (patient care attendant) comes in to take Blood pressure and temp and fill my water pitcher- which is kept full at all times, and the nurse for the day shift comes in to see if I need anything and check my heart with the stethoscope. Breakfast, or "nutrition," as they announce themselves, comes between 8 and 830 and then I usually shower and get dressed for the exciting day to come.
Lunch is around 1230, dinner is 530 and in between are the BP and temp checks about every 3 hours. And housekeeping also comes in about 4 times a day. Craig comes in the evenings to hang out with me, and after he leaves I get ready for bed... or should I say sleep, since Im in bed almost all day. The night nurse comes in around 7 to introduce herself and check on me, and then they come in about 3 or 4 times during the night to take BP and temps again, and fill my water.
Oh- and someone comes every 24 hours to give me an ultrasound to make sure all three little ones are looking good. Im hooked to a fetal monitor 24 hrs a day for baby C and they have a 2nd monitor on me for contractions.
Today they added another machine to my list of hook-ups. Its a thing that straps around each calf to prevent blood clots. They inflate and deflate one at a time and I keep them on unless I get up to use the bathroom or shower. No biggie.
Friday evening Craig wheeled me down to tour the NICU, which was a really good experience. My good friend Laawna is a nurse down there and she showed us all the little preemies that might be the same size and age as our babies could be at birth. On one hand it was shocking to see how fragile and tiny they looked. On the other hand, it was good to see what good hands they were in and what a nice facility it was. We are praying for these little ones to hold up until Im at least 30 weeks- which is 2 weeks from tomorrow. The little one is holding steady, but we really won't know for sure until they do the test on her cord flow, and check her growth again. If it shows she's not growing, we'll have to deliver. Until then we just pray and wait. More updates to come- but dinner is on its way!

7 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, I am so sorry that you have to be in the hospital for so long but happy that you are getting such good, and thorough, care. If you were at home you would probably be stressing and worrying about things that may or may not be happening. This way you know all about what is going on and can rest assured that you have very qualified care givers to take of you and the babies.
    Enjoy the food. I have never heard of such a hospital diet!
    Hang in there, sweetie. My prayers are with all of you. Can't wait to see those adorable little babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exactly like how it is when you have a baby and I can barely stand it for 2 days. I am so sorry you have to be there for so long. But I am with Renee, now you know everything that is going on and you don't have to worry about every pain. Good luck. We are thinking about you. Joyce and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nicole...what an experience! I wish we were there to come visit and keep you company (although I'm not sure they'd let me bring my two crazy kids with me :). I will be praying for your little ones. It sounds like you are getting good care. Know that I am thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try and come visit you! I just need to line up a sitter, maybe Morgan and I will just swap with the kids and come see you. It's good to know that I don't even have to sneak anything in for you. Which one is baby C? Is it Lyla?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update! We have sure been thinking about you and praying for "all" of you and your drs. as well. Glad to know they are looking out for blood clots. Kristi and I can both tell you how NOT fun those are! Take care and keep us posted! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the update...since Linda is out of town for the next week, let me be on call during the day for you...if you need anything please call me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to hear you are being monitored carefully and that you are in very good hands. The waiting can be tough. If you would like to connect with other moms on bedrest who might be facing premature delivery, visit the March of Dimes community called Share Your Story: http://www.shareyourstory.org/. It's very supportive.

    ReplyDelete