Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Infertility- BOOOO!




Another fun and exciting(where's the sarcasm font when you need it) thing Craig and I have had to deal with over the last 18 mos is the repeated doc appointments, drug treatments, specimen deliveries, multiple testing and procedures that, together, make up the wonderful world of infertility! Really, its not so wonderful, but I am blessed with an excellent insurance plan and good docs so I feel very positive about what we're doing.





Most recently I underwent a test thats called an hysterosalphinogram- HSG. In a nutshell (caution: rated PG-13) they give you an X-ray while injecting dye into the uterus and through the fallopian tubes to check for any blockages or abnormalities. After doing some online research and hearing some women describing it as "the most excruciating experience of their lives," I was a little nervous. Taking my doc's advice I loaded up on 800 mg of ibuprofen and 5 mg (ok 7), of Valium right before the procedure. I guess the procedure can cause "moderate to severe abdominal pain." Well either the drugs worked wonders or there are some seriously wussy women out there because it didn't feel like anything worse than a pap smear. Needless to say I was relieved but also delighted to find out that everything structurally was normal:)

4 comments:

  1. The legs in the air look really works for you! Glad you finally joined the blogging bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I love the blog, of course, I knew yours would be funny! I think loading up on the drugs was a good idea. I didn't take anything before hand (breastfeeding) and I am definately not a wuss. It was really the cramping at the end that was not fun, but like I told you last night, the whole hour it took to get to my uterus and the readjusting of the speculem wasn't great either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok girl at least you have a sense of humor to such issues, lol!!!!....I've known people to be really serious. Well, I hope the legs in the air turn out to help bless your little family!

    ReplyDelete