Saturday, February 7, 2009

A San Francisco Treat:

Craig and I had an opportunity to visit San Francisco a few weeks ago, because our IVF doc is near the bay area in Santa Clara. (more IVF info to come) I had never been to San Francisco and I loved the area! As my friends and family will tell you, I am very much a city girl, and SF was no disappointment. We stayed in a cute little boutique hotel right in Union Square and it was a nice little 20-25 minute walk to the Fisherman's wharf, where, by the way I had THEE BEST lunch I have ever had to date. I even took a picture.
I had the jumbo shrimp cocktail and the cup of clam chowder. I'll admit I whined when they brought me the $15 dollar shrimp and there were FOUR of them, but after I was getting full after 2 I realized that 4 was a heafty amount- they were huge. For anyone who loves shrimp cocktail (I am a purist when it comes to shrimp) these were so tasty and so fresh, I swear they were still crawling around in the ocean as we were being sat at our table. And notice the freshly grated horsradish on the plate by the lemon- AWESOME. And the chowder! I like chowder ok, but this?! Mmmmm, it redefined chowder for me. And yes, Craig said his fish and chips were really good too, but that's as much detail as he would ever give so it must have been an award winning dish as well.
Besides the food- the city looked just like it did in Full House. I was hoping to get a great shot of the Golden Gate Bridge, but by the time we found it (in short- dont expect the golden gate bridge state park to lead you to it) it was too dark and too foggy. There are a ton of cool hotels, shops, and restaurants- my fav! And we did take a street car- since it was way cheaper and warmer than taking the cable car- but otherwise not much different. I look forward to returning and checking out more of the city and all its charm. I call it California's New York- the people seem much more impatient and antsy than most Californians I've met. And they honk A LOT!
This is a shot at fisherman's wharf- just downstairs from my amazing and unforgettable lunch experience.

4 comments:

  1. Fun stuff! And good pictures! :) did you get any ghiradelli chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to go back and visit Alcatraz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lunch photo! It makes me hungry. When I think of San Fran. this is what I think of....FISH AND CHIPS, CLAM CHOWDER AND SHRIMP and Sour Dough Bread!!!

    ReplyDelete